Monday 13 January 2014

I am Woman: Hear Me Roar

This is my second instalment on safety in the home. In my last post, I talked about the deaths of two young boys who succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning. Vanessa Robinson, the mother of Tyler and Chase Robinson, has been agitating for law reform. She wants mandatory servicing of all gas appliances, and carbon monoxide alarms to be fitted in all Australian homes.


I started investigating. And I found very little to comfort me. The incident occurred four years ago. There was some noise. There were calls to introduce carbon monoxide detectors on a mandatory basis. Even the ABC thought they would be made compulsory. But it seems they were wrong. In 2012, the Standing Council of Energy and Resources agreed state and territory governments were to assess awareness of the issue, and implement new measures. This is ridiculous. Public awareness is a good step. But it is not going to protect people. Barry Ward comments:
Whilst I understand the cost benefit analysis, you are misguided if you believe this decision will help prevent further deaths or serious injuries which are totally underestimated at present (ask ESV). It has been proven that awareness alone will not greatly change the status quo and to think this decision is even close to being BEST PRACTICE is an insult to the industry and the people who have lost their lives and those who will. Once again the most vulnerable and poorest in our community i.e., those people in rental properties and government housing are left with no choice but to live with their families in properties with gas appliances untouched for years.
Concerns were expressed about the effectiveness and cost of carbon monoxide detectors. But they are mandatory in many other countries. The position of the Tyler & Chase Foundation is that detectors are effective when they are used in conjunction with regular servicing of fuel-burning appliances. So I thought to myself, why has this happened? What has nothing been done? I was looking at one forum. One landlord complains:
And they want to charge me $150 to put one of these things. They have also hinted at annual maintenance costs to service. What the hell? Is this thing actually REQUIRED by law? I don't have one in my own house.
It’s because of whingeing landlords like this we need regulation. I’m sure bosses said the same thing when work health and safety laws were introduced in ye old England. That’s not to say all landlords are the same. I was quite relieved when I saw this comment:
I've been looking at outdoor gas fireplaces this week and in my research have come across quite a few articles reporting deaths from CO poisoning. After reading these stories I want a CO detector for my house - For properties with gas heating, I see it as just as important as a smoke detector.
Carbon monoxide poisoning has fallen through the cracks of a fragmented housing system. It is a national disgrace that tenants, and women and children, are being let down by our government like this. It’s just not good enough. In my next instalment, I will look at how residential tenancy laws fails tenants when it comes to safety.
 
 

Postscript. I contacted Landlords Australia for comment. No reply.

See More:


‘Carbon monoxide detectors to become mandatory’, ABC News, 3 March 2011

 

No comments:

Post a Comment