Wednesday 9 April 2014

Gumtree: Perils of Renting Privately

Be very careful when applying for rental properties through the popular trading site, Gumtree. Last year, the media reported that fraudsters were renting out houses they didn’t even own. Many people were left homeless and broke after dealing with these tricksters. I would not put money down for bond unless you have physically inspected the property. Gumtree also recommends that its users meet landlords face-to-face.

The other problem is tenants are dealing with amateur landlords who have got no idea what they are doing. And landlords can be difficult when they are renting out their homes, as opposed to investment properties. Half the time I think they expect their house to look exactly the same as when they rented it out. Property managers are not much better, but at least they have some standards as dubious as they are.

Giselle wrote in with her story. She obtained a property through Gumtree. In her view, it's just not worth the time and hassle. Giselle would like to warn other tenants about Luong Nguyen Vo of Werribee, Victoria.

My partner and I decided to move into our first place together back in July, 2013. We were so excited for this step in our lives and started house-hunting. We found a townhouse listed on Gumtree for $280 per week - we arranged an inspection and fell in love soon as we saw the place. We applied and were offered the premises. About a week after signing the lease, we received a text message from the landlord stating other people had offered $315 per week for the premises and that if we can't go any higher she will need to rent it to these people, at this point we were so clueless with what she was doing and devastated we were at risk of losing the house, we offered $300 a week and she agreed. This was just the start of the dramas with this crazy woman.
On the day we were meant to pick up the keys, she called asking if my partner could help move her things. We declined as we did not feel this was part of our duty and were busy finalising both our stuff ready for the move to come. After saying we were flat-out ourselves, she came back at us saying we can't have the keys till late that night then because she has to move all on her own and it's our fault. Honestly, I got upset because our meant-to-be joyous day had been ruined by this selfish cow. Eventually we got the keys at 9pm that night.
The first thing we did was inspect the property...this made me cry even more. She had left half her belongings and the place was just filthy. We took over 150 photos for evidence and I called the landlord to ask why her belongings had been left and when they would be removed. She advised because my partner did not help she could not do it all herself and will arrange removal of the items in the next three weeks. We were furious. I advised she needed to arrange collection of her belongings ASAP or we would be requesting cheaper rent or end lease. She panicked and came and collected some things the next day. But her belongings took up most of the space in the garage.
We noticed this stain starting to come through in the ceiling. After getting my partner's father (handyman by trade) to come have a look at it, he advised it was mould. I called the landlord straight away to advise of the problem and to discuss solutions. Because I have asthma, I asked that it be cleaned and sealed ASAP. She agreed and said I was welcome to clean it with bleach in the meantime. I just used some alcohol wipes over the affected area for a short-term fix. Weeks later, after hearing nothing, I called asking for an update. She yelled and abused me and denied any claims I advised her of this problem. I commented that I was having respiratory problems. She got extremely defensive and started telling me how she booked someone to come the following day. This was eventually fixed about two months later.
This woman is a complete nutcase. She found a reason every week to come to the house – it was just an endless amount of pointless things, like getting quotes for new flyscreens. We had random men coming to our door asking for her, when advised she didn't live here anymore they would tell us of how she ruined their lives and took their money. We've had countless tradesmen come to our door chasing her for payment.
During our first inspection, she claimed we had put plastic doorstoppers behind each door  and she would be claiming from our bond. She gave us a written notice that we were not to do any garden maintenance unless approved by her (this included mowing the lawns). She claimed we cut down her favourite bush (a weed!). I advised that we had not removed any bush/plant. She is now claiming compensation for this bush ($7 I mean come on!).
My partner and I decided to break our lease and gave her over a month's notice (in writing of course). She took it better than I expected. But then the inspections came, she needed access all the time. Before vacating the premises, we paid for a professional cleaner to come in so she had absolutely nothing to come back  at as us about. When doing the final walk through, she ignored me, told me she would not be signing the bond claim form, and didn’t want to see any receipts. I asked her why she not signing the bond form when there were no major issues with the house...she ignored me. She later called asking for money because she couldn’t afford to move into a new home. When declining her request, she again told me she would not be signing the bond form. Beware to everyone out there. Because of this experience, I will never rent privately again.
On a scale of one to ten, I give this landlord a big fat zero. Yes, I am a fan of Grumpy Cat. In my next instalment, I will look at the practice of rent bidding.

 
See More:

No comments:

Post a Comment