Sunday 24 April 2016

Right to a professional handy man

Some dodgy landlords refuse to hire professional handymen, doing the work themselves, hiring mates or second-rate tradies. Of course, they do this to reduce costs and save money on carrying out repairs.

But there are a number of problems with doing this. First of all, it can be dangerous depending on the kind of work being done. When it comes to electrical work for instance, you want someone who knows what they are doing.

Secondly, it is violates the privacy of tenants. A key element of a lease is the right to quiet enjoyment of the property. If the landlord is doing the work, they get to do an informal inspection without the protections in the Act.

And further, if there is a problem and the matter goes before a tribunal, the landlord has an edge because their mate will probably give a favourable version of the events.

And then there's the hassle. If they don't know what they are doing, it might take longer and they might have to come back.

This is why tenants should have a right to a professional handyman.

Here is a story from a frustrated tenant:
I have a tale of woe to tell. My family and I moved into our dodgy Northcote property two years ago. I knew it was dodgy as I had the pleasure of living in another property owned by the same man when I was a young student.

He was a dodgy prick then and remains one today. Why did I take the property, well der, there is a shortage of three bedroom rentals and my kids need to be near schools transport and so on. Anyway on our first night in the house water poured through the ceiling from the upstairs bathroom into the kitchen. The landlord owns half of Northcote.

For those of you who know the area never rent the houses in Butler street behind the Peacock hotel. The landlords answer to our leaking shower was to send his geriatric worker to carry out repairs. The old guy who has little English has been working on the house for two years as the landlord refuses to engage a plumber who is not his mate. Now this weekend has been shocking.

It has started all over again and it is worse than ever and I am just about at my breaking point. Our rent is due on Tuesday, but I don't really want to pay for a house where I cannot take a shower. I have contacted my property manager. I know that the landlord Andy is going to turn up on my door tomorrow with his old guy. My intent is to not let them in and demand a real worker.
I don't know how the story ends. Hopefully she wasn't evicted for standing her ground. 

But the tenant makes a good point. Why should tenants continue to pay rent when they are not receiving the services they pay for? Tenants should have the right to withhold rent if their landlord abuses their power and does the wrong thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment